Monday, December 12, 2011

 
Sat Nam everyone. This morning my daughter and I sang together. We both played my harmonium. I let her play whatever she wanted on the harmonium at the same time that I was playing, as we both sang at the top of our lungs. It was fantastic! I don't know about the poor fellow who sleeps in the room underneath the ashram Gurdwara who was perhaps woken up a little earlier then expected. But oh it was soooo fun for us!

I got inspired to do this with my daughter because of our incredible experience at Khalsa Youth Camp. My husband and I both serve as staff members at the camp. Every morning the kids get together to do yoga, to meditate, and then to chant together. It is so incredible because the children just own the space. They are singing with full gusto. You feel their hearts, you feel their souls. It is fun, lively, and beautiful! Of course not everyone is in tune. And as many of the kids bang away at the various percussion instruments without being totally together... your head kind of gets a little fuzzy. But after awhile the soul and spirit of it just takes you away... into the reality that each child is a beautiful soul unfolding. To have this realization is incredible. To actually see it before your eyes can only happen in certain sacred environments. One of them is Khalsa Youth Camp.



So this year we are doing something very special at Khalsa Youth Camp. We are making a recording of all of the greatest hits from camp. Many of the songs are from the camp Director, Siri Nam Singh, who is brilliant with the children. I've watched as he sings these songs.... kids just light up. It feels great to be able to get these incredible songs out to other children who cannot attend the camp. The profits from this recording will be used to give back to the camp so that it has the funds to continue the incredible work that it does with children. I am extremely grateful to my record label, Spirit Voyage, who has agreed to such a generous project.

This morning I listened to some of the rough mixes for the album. I think it is going to be a really fun album. I'll be working with Ramdass Khalsa, who produced my mother's album "Seasons of the Soul". We will be recording the children for this album at camp this year. So, if your child would like to be a part of the Khalsa Yough Camp choir and be on our CD, sign up for camp right now!

Love and Blessings,

Snatam Kaur

PS - Join us in Costa Rica, March 10-17, 2012 for our Song of the Self Retreat

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?